PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Warship: Tour of Duty
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2023, 20:25
SATCOS WHIPPING BOY

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Union Jack
Now why does the expression "Apples and oranges" come so readily to mind!

If the very impressive Lieutenant "Hux's" parachute had not snagged on that light fitting on the starboard forrard corner of the ski ramp, it would indeed have been a very different story as 932 feet and 65000 tons of ship were the only other option.

I thought that his interviews, pre and especially post, the accident were two of the very best in the series, and as a result of the accident I now understand why he was only referred to by his moniker rather than his full name. Good to know that he is flying again - and , whilst getting into the Caterpillar Club, he won't remotely care about not getting membership of the Goldfish Club!

Jack
Hear Hear. I also hope that the removed light fitting was suitably mounted and presented to him as trophy.

An interesting thought, maybe a designed set of "snaggers" around the bows rather than a fortuitous redundant light fitting should be considered as a last ditch (no pun intended) device to catch the unfortunate ejectee in the future. Carrier ops and ejecting just off the ramp will ALWAYS run that risk of being driven over by the ship. Personally it would be nice to know there was at least an attempt to help prevent that happening by design not luck.
The following users liked this post: