PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Complete LH group meltdown
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2023, 05:29
Imagegear

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Klauss
Yes, LH certainly has huge data needs. I am wondering why they rely on one or two cables, and donīt go for a secondary connection via their own satellite dish or at least a terrestrial wireless hookup...
What happened is something that should not be possible - single point of failure for the whole, global, business
Under normal circumstances, the critical failover IT infrastructure should have been located some way away from the main centre and with continuous transaction replication and a short periodic heart beat to verify that a connection has not been lost.
If a link is lost for what ever reason, the heartbeat will stop and so with no further information, the backup site should takeover transaction processing and recover any in-process transactions from the failed pipeline. In a critical system you cannot wait for a system to tell you it is broke.

I am aware of an organisation who ran three separate recovery data centres, on three different continents. (Think Flood, Fire, War, cyber attack, pestilence, etc.)

If were a share holder, I would hold responsible, the CIO of LH who has been negligent in accepting that single point of failure, and by association, the CEO and the CFO. It matters not whether the problem was there before their appointment, they did not all suddenly appear from the HR organisation.

IG