PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NZ 101 missed approach - Thai 747 incroaching on 16? (13/1/04 08:20)
Old 13th Jan 2004, 11:43
Feather #3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll give it a go having been there once or twice!?

Who mucked up here, ATC? Thai pilots? NZ pilots?

The Thai bloke was probably slow and ATC thought he'd be faster. Simple as that.

Would the captain have made an announcement, must have rattled a few PAX, It was quite low.

Yes, undoubtedly. The a/c are perfectly capable of go-arounds from touchdown [and in Cat3, for QF, from 20ft, as a matter of routine in training]; pax don't see this and think some potential disaster has occurred.

Indeed, I blew my cool with a couple of pax after a 'runway occupied' go-around [at SIN, I might add; LHR, SFO, JFK, SYD, MEL, LAX wouldn't have raised an eyebrow!! ], when speaking to them the next night they told me they'd nearly hit another aircraft on the runway the previous day! They said the Capt had told them that and I KNOW what I said; fact and perception are amazing!!

Is is standard proceedure to continue over the runway and get routed back around, I guess it makes sense.

Yes, basically. There are often turning go-arounds as well.

Will someone be written up for this (or at least invited to sit down for a cuppa to discuss it)

No. No standards were breached [that's why he went around.]

Why go around so late, must have been able to see the jumbo from miles away.

And was watching him very carefully no doubt! Thai could have rolled at any time and it may have worked. There are laid down standards for how far up the runway/airborne another a/c must be before you may be cleared to land [except in the US]; both the ANZ Capt and the ATCO would have been watching. Either can initiate a go-around. I've been in both situations.

Hope that helps.

G'day