PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fire Fighting 737 Crashed in WA
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2023, 23:02
43Inches

Received 415 Likes on 229 Posts
Could those marks be where the engine intakes were scooping?
I'm more leading to blast marks rather than impact marks, as they converge, if they were from the engines themselves they would be parallel. That is leading up to the ridge, after impact the more solid marks are most likely from structural impact and sliding.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but both this accident and that of Tanker 134's remind me also of the close call with the RJ a few seasons ago. There's a reoccurring problem here that needs addressing. We can talk about potential power loss, weird and irrelevant conversations about visibility and eye brow windows, and what the ATSB should be doing until we're blue in the face. However, what about the repetitively poor management of flight in the lower levels.
It was mentioned in the video earlier involving target fixation and why were they bombing this fire etc. You can see the pattern of jet blast I was talking about converges as the jet closes in on the ground, which I feel is very similar to the damage pictured in the aerial 737 aftermath footage. It also shows how low these LATs get to tag the second pass, meaning even relatively low terrain like in WA comes into play.

In the video below you can see the pilots scan approaching the target and the workload he is under, and then during the drop and recover there is a lot of flying happening... Imagine that with speed multiplied in a large jet.

Last edited by 43Inches; 10th Feb 2023 at 23:29.