PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2023, 03:17
GlobalNav

Received 151 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by _Agrajag_
Absolutely this.

Ukraine has consistently shown that it's forces are extremely adaptable, technically very competent and tactically way better than Russian forces. They need a capability to strike well behind Russian lines. Cutting off logistic supply to Russia's front lines is key. Sure tanks, artillery, IFVs, MANPADS are great, but they don't solve the big problem.

If anyone doubts this look at the impact of HIMARS. Being able to accurately hit targets 50km behind Russian front lines has been crucial. Give Ukraine the ability to hit 200km and it would be decisive. This is not about slugging it out in trenches. We learned that lesson in WWI, the Russians learned it again in WWII (although they seem to have forgotten it). Flying over Russian-held territory is madness, given their AD. Using aircraft to launch stand-off precision weapons with a range of 200km or more would be decisive. Much safer to emulate what Russia's been doing to great effect. Launch from a stand-off range that makes the risk to the launch platform low.

Far better than ground-launched weapons that are always more vulnerable. A fire-and-forget long range weapon's launch platform will have long-since buggered off by the time the Russian's know the weapon's coming.
I have not personally served in combat, but have read heavily the accounts of fighting forces of WW2, Korea, Vietnam and the Gulf. So please forgive me for commenting from afar, but I am concerned about the combat fatigue UKR forces must be experiencing and the short supply of replacement troops. Russia is in a better position, ironically, considering the relatively short period of time individuals are in combat, and the overwhelming superiority in manpower to endlessly replace casualties. I suppose western governments are not blind to these factors, though they give insufficient account of them, but in spite of the superior quality of the UKR fighting man, numbers and time are against them.

What I conclude is that the West should be quicker in providing decisive military assistance, including munitions, armor and airpower. Plus I can hardly imagine the degree of hardship being suffered by civilians who have lost loved ones, homes and possessions. This needs to be ended as quickly as it can be.
The following users liked this post: