PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Biggin Hill Mosquito
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2023, 07:53
GeeRam

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by India Four Two
DaveReid,

I disagree. If you rebuild an aircraft and have to manufacture some parts, it’s not a replica. Of course, in the case of a Mosquito, that’s the wings, fuselage and empennage, but if the metal bits are original, then it’s a rebuild. 😄
Which in the case of the 3 already done by AvSpecs, this was indeed the case, as there was sufficient remains of the aircraft for that to be true. Especially so in the case of the T.3 rebuilt for the ex-Paul Allen FHC, which was of course the ex-IWM Lambeth example that was pretty much a totally complete aircraft, that had just had a wing sawn off for hanging from the roof in Lambeth.
The People's Mosquito on the other hand, is going to be pretty much a replica, as what amounts to a data plate was dug out of a whole in the ground. They aren't even returning it to its NF.30 configuration either (if it ever gets finished)

From the photos I've seen, I'm not sure there was an awful lot left of TE881 that John Smith acquired the remains of many decades ago, and which AvSpecs have acquired from the estate, and which is likely providing the identity of the BHHH FB.6, although more than the TPM example. Much easier for AvSpecs to make what there isn't though, if built alongside the substantially complete ex-Glyn Powell project, not something TPM have access to in the same way.