PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB to probe Fedex/Southwest close encounter at Austin
Old 8th Feb 2023, 14:10
BFSGrad

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Watcher
Something I forgot to mention yesterday , and which has not been mentioned so far, is the apparaent unawareness of the seriousness of what happened and the self congrartulations in the end to reinforce them in their convinctions that they did themselves everything rght and it was all the fault of the SW...: The controller telling the Fedex " we appreciate your professionalism " and Fedex replying " Thank you " in a happy voice. This trends to prove to me that the deviances from normality we saw are deeply embedded in the system, at least in Austin.
It was mentioned back in my post #13 responding to your post #11. I interpreted the local controller’s apology as 100% ATC mea culpa. I think by the point when the apology was issued, the local controller realized how badly he FU’d. He may have also realized that Fedex tried to bail him out when asking the 2nd time for a landing clearance. In effect Fedex was saying, “I don’t like the way this situation is developing, but I’ll stick with it a bit longer to allow YOU to do your job.” Ultimately, Fedex had to call the go around when it should have been called by ATC. Again, Fedex covering for ATC.