PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB to probe Fedex/Southwest close encounter at Austin
Old 7th Feb 2023, 21:28
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr dre
And there are plenty of non US backgrounded pilots flying for US airlines as well.

While not related to this incident here's a glaring example of very poor phraseology by US ATC (in addition to unnecessary aggression) that caused confusion and frustration and could've led to a safety incursion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWOOKQlEe5s

But it's not just the lax phraseology, there's also the lax procedures and the laisse faire culture, things like clearing an aircraft to land off a CAT III approach while a preceding departing aircraft hasn't even entered the runway yet. You don't really see this in any developed aviation environment outside the US.
Dissenting opinion. Not talking about operating procedures. I’ve flown all over the EU and a bit of Northern Africa for about 7 years, for the last 18 years North and Central America. Speak multiple languages, did ATC in Spanish and French when I worked there. English is not my first language. There’s no excuse for the absolutely appalling language skills many foreign carriers pilots have that fly international. That definitely includes the carriers from Southern Europe, and definitely Asia. There is no way some of those pilots in the video should be considered English proficient level 4, and as such, they should not be allowed to fly international.