PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar excess Fuel YBBN.
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2023, 00:12
First_Principal

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
I may have said this before, but given it's story time:

Once upon a time I was sitting in an office at an aerodrome watching a RAAF Caribou come in. They taxied to the fuelling area and I then went about my business, given this was somewhat less interesting than 'rating' other people's landings.

A little while later a chap pounded up the stairs and poked his head in the office, asking "do you have de-fuelling facilities for 3000l of AVGAS here?". Specifically, at that very moment, the answer was 'no', however I thought it politic to ask 'why?'.

It turned out they'd had a high-g event which knocked out a fuel pump. After all this time it's a bit hazy but I had the impression the pump was located at the bottom of a tank, either way they needed to de-fuel the machine, and - most importantly - they weren't allowed to put that fuel back in!

I thought about this for a nanosecond or two and responded to him that I'd just go to our depot and get the requisite equipment and return - wait there young man ;-)

What transpired was a mad dash home to get my transport trailer, over to a place that sold clean 44's, and back to the 'drome ASAP .. the mission was then accomplished to everyone's satisfaction.

Now I couldn't possibly comment about what happened afterwards, but purely as an aside I've got it on good authority that VW Beetle's and other such early machines aren't too picky about what they'll run on ...

FP.
The following users liked this post: