PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lightning strike on radome
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2023, 12:51
hoistop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not much of a story. This is happening quite often in the summer days and is a constant source of work for sheetmetal workers/mechanics, as lightning strikes often leave minor thermal damage on metal parts - window edges, exposed rivet heads, etc. When airplanes were made mostly of aluminum, this was not a big issue, but with composites, things changed a bit, as these are more vulnerable to lightning strikes, despite embedded wire mesh etc. and delamination, especially at the corners, (LDG doors etc.) is not so rare. Radomes are traditional entry point and are regularly repaired / replaced for this, as metal stripes provide only limited protection. I would not consider this event a close call, as today`s designs are quite resistant to such damage. A Sukhoi SuperJet (Aeroflot Flt 1492) comes to my mind where this was not entirely the case, since lightning strike contributed to the crash, as several systems were affected by lightninig strike, requiring an emergency landing, that didn`t go well.
Gliders are much worse, as there is no lightning protection embedded in the design. I cannot imagine what would happen if a glider, made of fiberglass, but with carbonfibre stripes in a main spar, would be hit. I suspect that spar would literally explode.
So I stay away from CBs when doing gliding flights-had already some scary episodes with static electricity flying (too) close to Congestus cloud.