PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC failed a breathalyser test
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2023, 14:07
Magplug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody that needs to drink at work is an alcoholic. In my experience any airline employee that raises their hand and says 'I need help' is treated with the utmost compassion and supported by the company. I understand they have moral and legal obligation (in most civilised countries) to do so.

Sadly the majority continue to hide their lifestyle and have become very practiced at remaining under the radar. You may occasionally find someone regularly described as 'The Life & Soul of the party' on nightstops. In reality they may be seeking to normalise their own behavior by dragging in the rest of the crew..... On occasions that has lead to junior colleagues over-indulging, getting caught and losing their job whilst the real culprit goes unnoticed. (Scandinavia is definitely not a place for airline folk to be led astray). Having alcoholics around is not simply a bad idea from a safety point of view. Bad stuff seems to follow them around.

No alcoholic will voluntarily seek help until they hit rock-bottom. That might be losing their spouse, their job or simply one of their kids asking them why daddy always smells like a pub. In my career I have exercised my fair share of compassion. On two occasion I have come down to pickup in the hotel to find an FO who looked like death and smelt like a brewery. On both occasions I did them a favour and sent them back to bed with my diagnosis of food-poisoning..... and a warning from me that this has been a one-time favour and won't be repeated. We were all young and stupid once.