PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawk problems at Valley
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2023, 13:18
SOX80

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by LateArmLive
How about some of that "ruthless screening" on a core skillset that is actually relevant? Paper map and stopwatch IP-TGT runs... I think there's too much rose-tinted glasses wearing going on here!
If all you want is capacity testing, fine- bring back the T1. I wonder why no other modern Air Force is doing that though.
That said, it's a difficult problem to solve. The USAF haven't done it yet, and they are in an arguably worse state than the UK in terms of current basic trainers. But at least theirs work for now.
I would suggest that no other Air Force is doing that partly because it suits industry to sell them shiny new toys. In an ideal world you would probably train on glass cockpit/HUD but I don't think it is the most important consideration. It is interesting to note that there have been a number of different training pathways used over the past few years, on Typhoon the main problems have come from those who have been through NJEPTS and other 'tech focussed' routes, the T1 students as has been noted, have been absolutely fine. Almost as if Airmanship and Decision making are more important than the ability to use the kit. I certainly remember when I moved from the T1 to a HUD thinking 'wow, this is easy', I reckon it took me about 10 mins to convert. I also spend time instructing in the hills and it is very clear that spending time with a map and compass develops your understanding of the mountain environment and allround ability as a navigator much more than gluing yourself to tech, same in the air. Train hard fight easy.
The following users liked this post: