PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA flights stopped. FAA computer outage.
Old 28th Jan 2023, 20:20
ethicalconundrum

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mech - I can see value for a tech solution to part of the NOTAM system, but not sure how that would play in the changing environment. Example; Some nut does a gear up at my field. First thing I do is call the 888 number for NOTAM and close my runway. Right now, within 10 min or so, the entire aviating world knows that my airport is closed to all traffic. A plane with ADSB-in does not use the NOTAM system and relies on real time ADSB-in info for NOTAMs. Since the ADSB plane did not check NOTAMs on pre-flight they have no idea my runway is fouled. How does the NOTAM report get involved with the ADSB real time report? I can't see a mandate for something like this unless there is a complete overhaul and ADSB shows real time up to date info to the pilot. My experience so far is the FAA can't even do ADSB-out very well yet. How many years ago were we promised full in and out ADSB service? And, where are we today?

Second, suppose I fly a no radio bugsmasher. How am I going to equip with ADSB-in? Or, don't non-radio planes get to fly anymore? Just ground thousands of planes that can't generate electricity? My Luscombe 8E is a hand prop all metal no electric. Right now, I can fly anywhere outside class A and B, and yes still inside the mode-C veil. Take away the AW cert for all these planes? hmmmm