PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawk problems at Valley
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2023, 06:55
KrisKringle

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LateArmLive
The T1 is entirely inadequate for Advanced FJ training today. It was inadequate in the mid 2000s, hence the attempt to upgrade to the T2. Sadly, one could argue that the T1 "works" and is better than nothing, but that would be entirely missing the point. Add that to the Ascent/MFTS shambles and you have the fustercluck that the RAF (and RN) are living today. Weird how nobody could see this coming...

As for what else, either the M346 or T50 would be better suited to modern fighter training. Maybe even get on board with the T7 project. Anything but a Hawk please.

I disagree with every statement you make, except the last one in the first para, having been on the receiving end of both the T1 and T2 training systems (as well as some overseas AFT/TW 'equivalents').

The T1 graduates were - excepting individual talents - better pilots in handling, decision making and capacity. In fact, on the FL, we couldn't tell between them. I do not recall any T1 graduates, in my time, failing the OCU or struggling when reaching their squadrons. That, and the high level well-staffed report that was written stating such, was a surprise. It was also a disappointing period because the T1 training system was about to be drawdown, even when it was clear that the T2 system on its own didn't have the capacity to cope, even with 100% engine reliability, and so RAF Valley struggled - actually, it spectacularly failed - to train both our FJ pilots and those of our overseas IDT partners.