PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting in the correct mindset for IR training
Old 26th Jan 2023, 08:47
golfbananajam

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by rudestuff
It depends on how your brain works. I found the IR to be the easiest course so far - no need to look out of the window or at charts - just follow the instruments. I too was convinced that it would be hard - like some kind of black magic - but it's actually very straightforward. You'll spend most of your time flying NDB holds and approaches and there are many apps and simulators to help with that. When I did my IR training I got 6 hours into the course and the instructor said we covered everything, the rest is just practice. The course is overly long for what you need to know. The best preparation you can do is to know your checklists by heart and when to do them, but you'll have plenty of time on the course. It's not like a 45 hour PPL where you struggle to get everything done, you'll know what you're doing after 15 hours.

Going back quite a few years when I did my IMC, NDB approaches were quite difficult as I could never get lined up on the runway. Then the penny dropped, I never would, the instruments line you up on the antenna, not on the runway. an NDB approach is only meant to get you to a minimum height at which you need to be visual, or it's a GA.

The point I'm trying to make is not to beat yourself up about things not going smoothly all the time, try to understand what's going on, get a good mental picture.

Once I had that cracked, my IMC flying training was great. Never used it in anger, but that wasn't why I wanted the rating either.