PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A350-1000 autonomy tests aimed at supporting dual-pilot cockpit: Airbus
Old 25th Jan 2023, 07:41
davidjpowell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KRviator
A mate of mine still wears a mask when he's out and about and he's probably one of the smartest blokes I know. Not because he's scared of Covid, but because he has a legitimate reason he has to avoid getting crook. To ridicule is cheap and easy, and the oldest trick in the book...
Yeeaaahh, about that....How'd that work out for those pilots who took on the Navigation duties when they got rid of the Nav? Or those 767 Driver's who took over from the F/E back in the 80's? Or all those train driver's after they aboloished the Guard on the back of the train, or the Coey beside them whem they went to Driver-Only Operation?!?

You can ask, but you won't get. And all they will do is redefine your role s they have done to countless other industries to reduce numbers.

Really? Do you really want to go there?
  • Asiana 214
  • Air France 296
  • American 965
  • Korean 801
  • GermanWings 9525
  • SilkAir 185
  • EgyptAir 990
  • Air France 447
  • Transasia 235
  • BMA 92
  • Eastern 401
  • China Airlines 006
  • Singapore 006
  • Tenerife
And countless others besides where the crew have flown a perfectly serviceable aircraft into an obstacle, or grossly mishandled a relatively minor fault and the aircraft was lost. As I've said above, there's likely multiple times the tech crew have saved the aircraft from errant technology - however do not confuse pilots up front as being indefensible in terms of preventing fatalities, particularly when pilot suicide is a significant cause of fatalities in recent years. There'll also be new and novel failures experienced with autonomous operations, but I proffer that even with these losses, safety will be improved overall by removing the human element.
What is not reported there, because no crash occurred where human intervention has prevented crashes.