PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Caledonian Boeing 707s
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2023, 04:42
Sotonsean

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dixi188
Sotonsean.
Not sure about the first route for G-BJXN.
My memory is that it started on the Lagos route.
I remember changing all 16 mainwheels the night before it went into service after it had spent a week at Shannon doing circuits.
Over 40 years ago now.
Happy days.
Dixi.
My apologies 😊

Lagos was indeed the first destination served by G-BJXN.

I was always under the impression that LGW-DBX-HKG was served by Boeing 747 from July no 1982 replacing the DC-10-30 on the route.

I can remember seeing a BCAL Boeing 747 at Hong Kong Kai Tak airport from the viewing terrace in February 1984.

Yes I know that it's over 40 year's ago now but I thought I could remember correctly regarding the up gauge in aircraft on the route.

G-BJXN Boeing 747-200 delivered April 1982
G-CITB Boeing 747-200 delivered September 1987
G-GLYN Boeing 747-200 delivered October 1986
G-HUGE Boeing 747-200M delivered March 1985
G-NIGB Boeing 747-200 March 1987.

I know that this a thread regarding BCAL Boeing 707s and I hate to go off topic but whilst we are discussing the Boeing 747, I have a question.

Out of curiosity without making assumptions on my part but which Boeing 747 intially resumed LGW to New York JFK operations in 1985. I have a feeling "if I can remember correctly" that it was G-HUGE.

BCAL Boeing 747 routes as you are aware we're, Hong Kong, Houston, Lagos, New York JFK and Tokyo Narita.

If only and I'll type it again, if only 'in my dreams', BCAL had survived a couple of more years we could have more than likely seen some Australian destinations added to that 747 list. BCAL was finally given the authority to fly to Australia in late 1987, in collaboration with Ansett Australia. Both airlines at the time were considering ordering the Boeing 747-300 to fly their newly awarded Australian routes with flights expected to commence in 1988/89.

I can remember vividly when I first heard the announcement that British Airways were going ahead with their take over of BCAL. I was in the USA at the time and I was absolutely gob smacked and devestated by the news.

I 💓 BCAL