PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Warship: Tour of Duty
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2023, 18:00
_Agrajag_

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts
It's inevitable that the media are going to pick characters to single out for entertainment. AB Lambert must have been seen as a gift from the gods to the producer. A cheeky chappy, from Essex, no less, with a gift for playing to the camera. Likewise the contrasting guy on the bridge with the plummy accent. May have been the biggest dick on earth but he highlighted the "salt of the earth" character of AB Lambert.

Commanders Desk seems to have been toned down from years ago, but my view was that the penalty was fair. The programme played up AB Lambert being adrift, without actually saying whether or not he'd caused a real delay to the ship sailing (I'm near-certain he didn't).

I did watch the programme with a copy of Rick Jolly's book to hand. Used it as a decode handbook. Met Rick Jolly once. years ago. One of the nicest blokes I've ever met. Like all the best blokes (even those in the wrong service) his life was cut too short. He's one bloke I'd have loved to have known better.

Like it or loathe it service life has changed and adapted with society. Personally I was dead impressed with the way the RN have reshaped life at sea to fit with today's society. Bloody good show, from what I've seen so far.
The following users liked this post: