PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic fined by the FAA for overflying Iraq
Old 24th Jan 2023, 03:20
punkalouver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Reminds me of a vacation I took to Dubai just prior to Covid. The in flight map display showed us flying south along the Iranian border just inside Iraq, like a lot of airlines. This was just a few days after the U.S. killed Solemeini. While in Dubai, the big missile attack by Iran happened. Thought I would look at one of those FlightRadar sites to see the routing of my airline's flights. It was quite interesting to see that the return flight was along the same(or almost the same route in the opposite direction). Then I decide to look at the location of the two bases that were hit. One was long that route. Which made me wonder how close the aircraft was when the missiles were flying. Within the hour was the answer. All this after the lesson that should have been learned from the Malaysian airliner shot down by the Russian separatists in Ukraine.....why by chance, I had flown on that route as a crewmember two weeks previous.