PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors with attitude problems
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 22:41
43Inches

Received 404 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Lookleft
I had an instructor when I was doing my instrument rating who would berate me for some minor infraction of his standards then get even more upset with me when I looked at him during while he was mid rant. He also suggested that I just focus on getting a single engine instrument rating which is next to useless if you are pursuing a career as a commercial pilot. This bloke's personal standard included having his trousers half way down his a$#@e and his shirt never tucked in. He was none too happy when 6 months later I was working part-time at the same flying school as a Grade III instructor and doing the occasional charter in the Company twin.
Iv'e only ever dissuaded a few pilots not to continue, and mostly for their own mental health, as they were spinning their wheels in a fit trying to get the licence. One important thing to learn as an instructor is what are the required standards, and what is acceptable technique. The first is fixed, the second can be achieved in various ways. Some alternative techniques may have dangers so this can be communicated to the student as why they should change to the way you are providing. If not and the technique is somewhat sound, but not your prefferred, well go with it. All I can say is that if you are not flexible in that area goodness help you doing AFRs for those country pilots who use the force to navigate A to B via Z (those who know know).

If an instructor is fixed to one set of techniques and not flexible, probably time to find another instructor.

I've come across a few of these fixed technique instructors that then struggle to teach in another aircraft type, because the technique they learned was a shortcut for their type, not generic to aviation.