PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dallas air show crash
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 09:50
Chiefttp

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I’ve been involved in a few of these type of air shows (old vintage aircraft, mixed with modern military jets) I flew a demo, but I was solo and there were no other aircraft near me. The guys who fly these multiple warbird shows, like Tora,Tora, Tora, design them to look like chaos to the crowd, but are actually strictly choreographed and deconflicted. The Briefings I attended were professional, detailed and rivaled most military briefings.
The big difference in this event is, as most of you remarked, this Airboss, seemed like he was directing the show “on the fly” . I agree there was a lot of extraneous talking and confusion. The Airboss’s I dealt with did talk more than most, but that’s because the shows are pretty complex with a lot of aircraft in the same slice of airspace. At no time were we ever confused or unsure of our plan. The CAF folks are a small community who know each other very well. The P-63 pilot had 30,000 hours! And had been flying these warbirds for decades with no issues. The mix of familiarity, complacency, and the ill advised need to change the plan and shift the bombers and fighters paths, for reasons I don’t understand, led to this accident. When I participated in similar shows, we knew the plan.and flew the plan…period.