PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - inews - 'RAF admits ‘urgent’ need to solve shortage of trained pilots''
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 01:03
Bob Viking

Received 548 Likes on 149 Posts
Full disclosure

LJ, haven’t you previously, proudly, told us that your wife earns more than you? Does that have anything to do with why you’re not so bothered about how much the RAF pays you?

Sorry to be blunt but the question of whether or not money is the answer needs to be asked of the young people that are forced to live in parts of the country where their partners struggle to get well paid employment or are at home with the children in dilapidated married quarters. Let’s not forget that most of them will complete two flying tours before they see any flying pay nowadays as well. Can you honestly imagine how it must feel to rock up at a Typhoon Squadron as a newly minted QWI knowing that you’re earning the same as OC catering (if such a role still exists but you get the point)?

There is no point asking people who are late in their careers, who don’t have kids living at home and who have probably already paid off their mortgages. As far as the RAF is concerned those are the success stories but they are becoming increasingly rare.

What makes it very stark to me is the age of people I see taking up jobs in Defense companies in the Middle East and elsewhere. They used to be the preserve of people who already had their pensions. Increasingly now I’m seeing guys and girls with much fresher faces who didn’t bother waiting around due to the new scheme. When the QWIs/QFIs complete their second tour and then leave I’d say you’re in trouble.

BV
The following users liked this post: