PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Teesside-2
Thread: Teesside-2
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2023, 07:11
P330

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Truths

I've sat back over the last couple of weeks and watched the posts and arguments flow.

Rather late to the party, and probably of no interest to anyone , here are my thoughts.

Most arguments seem to based on two ends of the spectrum. Positive airport messaging v poor numbers/money better spent elsewhere. As ever in this world, the answers for me aren't in the black and white but in the grey and I actually think both narratives are correct.

Firstly, compared to where we were, the airport is doing fantastic. Passengers numbers are the highest in a decade, we have the most routes in a long time and the airport experience is a pleasure. Diversification of income is on the rise and prospects really look quite exciting. As a frequent flier and an aviation nerd - this is all fantastic news.

Any investment though is a risk and that risk was heightened by a certain virus in 2020. It was always going to take a few years to get to profit; even more so after Covid. But the fact is numbers are low. But they were always going to be. Where to invest money is always a choice. There are many needy projects that need investment in Teesside and yes, I am sure there are projects out there where the money invested could deliver a better return for a wider population. But the reality is the money has been invested here and now it has, it has to be given time to succeed. We can't un-invest it. And there is no benefit to keep arguing on the original decision.

Houchen made a brave call. He is doing well and I am pleased he made the decisions he did. I get repeatedly irritated by his one-sided political messaging and the endless positive photoshoots, but I guess that's the sleazy world of politics. He would do himself more favour (IMO) if he stood up and commented objectively on negative stories and stepped back from the limelight now and again. Jobs for mates remains a big concern and could be something that undoes him - he'd do well to keep his nose clean and out of Private Eye.

Anyway, based on what we know today, 2023 will be an ever bigger year. Even though we will lose some regional routes. As Harold says, plenty more news coming which will bolster the numbers.

So, I guess I agree with most of the comments on here. But arguing about the decisions of the past won't change anything and folks, we have a great little regional airport which is going places - I for one welcome that!!