PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two helicopters collide - Gold Coast, Queensland - Sea World 2/1/2023
Old 16th Jan 2023, 19:09
albatross

Received 150 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
As usual...when a discussion gets to this point where we discuss Risk, Probability, Chance, Luck, and even Fate......I suggest folks read "Fate Is The Hunter" by Ernest Gann.

Despite his writing about his experiences prior to and during WWII flying Transport Airplanes, his is an insight and wisdom that still applies today.

I wish I had a Leather bound copy of that Tome as it would be right next to some other books I gain inspiration and wisdom from when reading from them.

Short version is there are risks, real risks, imagined risks, reasonable risks, un-necessary risks, and un-acceptable risks in aviation.

The trick is to figure out what they are and which one you are dealing with at the time.

There is always risk....how we deal with them is important but identifying them is the key.

One short quote from him is "In this game we play for keeps!".
SASless…I have an original first edition of “Fate Is the Hunter”….I have probably read it 50 + times since I first read it in the “Readers Digest Condensed Book” edition. I have given many copies as gifts and think it should be mandatory for every pilot to read.
I have operated over the area of the search for O’Conner and know where the lake is. 54 20 N 73 30 W.
On a ferry trip to Brazil a few years ago I visited a lot of the airports he mentions in the book.
Also my Uncle was an officer on. the ocean liner Lurline for the Matson Shipping Line which tried and failed to start the airline he worked for post WW2.
Small World.

Last edited by albatross; 16th Jan 2023 at 21:39.