PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - inews - 'RAF admits ‘urgent’ need to solve shortage of trained pilots''
Old 14th Jan 2023, 16:59
_Agrajag_

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
The RAF have paid £480,000 to a US consultancy firm to tell them how they can fix the problem. I could have given them a few nuggets for a lot less. In fact, instead of doing what the MOD always do (pay a bunch of money to a civilian company for ‘advice’, most of which comes from recently retired military personnel) they could just do a better job of listening to the people they already have. You know, those uniformed SQEP that turn up for work every day and tell their chain of command when things aren’t right. Those same people that get ignored and fed up and then leave. Those same people that may even end up working for consultancy firms.

On balance, maybe let’s just leave the RAF to it and allow those people to rake it in as consultants. The RAF hierarchy will never learn.

Remember: money is not the answer.

BV
I worked as a consultant for over a decade after leaving. Money for old rope. Getting paid a lot more to say the same stuff as I'd been saying when serving. The difference was that they tend to believe consultants. Never understood the weird mentality behind this. One of my colleagues (former corporal) was earning around £800/day as a consultant. The job he was doing was at OF-6. This was over 20 years ago.