PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Eastern 737-800 MU5735 accident March 2022
Old 14th Jan 2023, 04:27
Turkey Brain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apologies Lonewolf 50, I missed your reply before commenting on another post.

Also apologies if my simplistic approach is crass and insensitive. Any training to help others or even recognise issues in oneself should be welcome.

Thank you for your candid comments which make a lot of sense. The action you describe to prevent suicides is sorely missing in some big airlines, I.e. getting to know your staff.

It’s interesting to know that you had training on suicide prevention, but still believe it’s very difficult to prevent.

” Maybe “ in the 30 years since the experts have developed a better understanding of suicide risk and prevention.

I too have experienced a wave of suicides amongst colleagues, the common factor at the time seemed to be an sudden increase in work and at the same time less down time to unwind and recover.

However with your training at least you were given an insight into risk factors and an appreciation of the fact that suicide does happen.
So hopefully you were better able to help someone if you became aware of risks in their life.

So yes there is no simple test, but some basic training and a recognised path to a trained mental health expert for those rare occasions wouldn’t go amiss.

Most of the comments and attitudes seem to be, let’s maintain the status quo. I know we are resistant to change as a group and change for changes sake is definitely not wanted.

However there is a problem = humans commit suicide.

We are doing nothing = indefensible

As stated in the German Wings report, it is very difficult for doctors to assess the Suicide risk on a limited medical, however working colleagues tend to have very close working relationships over extended periods of time.

So to give the co workers some basic awareness of suicide prevention and risks would make sense and cost very little time and effort.

And it may help someone in need.

So why the resistance to a small change?