PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any experienced guys suffered loss of confidence?
Old 13th Jan 2023, 21:14
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adam84
Anyone have any experience of a sudden complete lack of flying confidence? I’ve been flying the 320 for almost 8 years now, over 4000 hours from the right seat, mostly uneventful, never needed any additional training. However the last 6 months I have completely lost confidence flying approaches and landings, particularly in windy/gusty conditions. Messing up a landing last year on a gusty day, ballooning the aircraft leading to a baulked landing is still playing in my mind, first time it’s happened to me.

Now the overthinking and anxiety go into overdrive when I see the dreaded forecast before a days flying. “Is my seat position right, to high to low, when am I taking power on/off, where am I looking in terms of aiming point/opposite threshold”, flare height etc.

give me a Cavok day with 10kts on the nose and no issues, I definitely think that improving my scan, staying better on profile and avoiding dipping low/high and getting big A/T changes late on those really gusty sink inducing days would help

The overthinking and anxiety is certainly a character trait, almost seems the more I overthink and worry the worse the result. Any advice greatly appreciated

I have about 10 years on the 320, most in the left seat. Probably over 1000 landings as PF. Before that 15 years of short haul in light business jets and 50 seat turboprops, with over 3000 landings. Never any problems handling. Had a very gusty approach into LGA last year on a A321, close to MLW and had a hard landing. No load 15, but still. About 6 moths later went back to LGA, and because of my experience, did the same thing (will probably balloon and go around the next time I go there). Talk to someone you trust, and trust yourself.