PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two helicopters collide - Gold Coast, Queensland - Sea World 2/1/2023
Old 12th Jan 2023, 01:12
Traffic_Is_Er_Was

Location: QLD - where drivers are yet to realise that the left lane goes to their destination too.
Received 182 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Avv
[

I agree that in the original released version of the in cockpit video with the channel seven watermark it is unclear at best.
There is a version of that video that was included in a Channel 9 report without the watermark where the departing helo is more clearly visible.

I can't post links but search Youtube for "channel 9 seaworld helicopter crash" and check the "Moment of Impact" report you can definitely see the blade flicker from the main rotor.
I've had another look at the various videos and tried to reconcile the timings. From the through the fence departure video, it's about 12-13 seconds from just after XKQ's lift off from the pad, to impact. From the onboard video, it's about 12-13 seconds from when XKQ is first said to be visible until the time of impact. So XKQ should be small and close to the pad when first observed, not quite large and seemingly quite close as that dark (admittedly helicopter shaped) object appears to be. So it should be there somewhere.
If you use the CH9 video, pause and then step back/forward using the fullstop and comma keys, you can see XKQ. It's a small object within that larger darker area, and the attitude of the aircraft seems correct. Nose down with a heading that matches the departure video, and rotor flicker in the right place.

With thanks (apologies?) to Ivor_Biggun and helispotter for borrowing their work:

This is not XHQ as portrayed in the media

This is XKQ, departing from the pad, coming out of the shadows of the dark area

Last edited by Traffic_Is_Er_Was; 12th Jan 2023 at 01:23.