PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 182 crashed into trees at Porepunkah
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2023, 01:00
rsvpInBright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More on Porepunkah

New member just throwing my 2c worth, but based at Porepunkah.

I go out from Porepunkah fairly frequently in low ceiling IMC (cloud a few hundred feet above runway). It is possible, safe and legal to do so. Pilot's responsibility until LSA reached. BUT....
I have two IFR navigators programmed with departure waypoints and terrain warning, I did it many times in VMC before doing it in IMC, and I know the area "like the back of my hand". I consider there is
only one way out in IMC (waypoints taking me essentially direct to Porepunkah township, then north west along the Great Alpine Road with maximum rate climb). There is certainly no
way back in in low cloud.

Would I do it at night? Nope - and this is not because of the aerial component, but because of the runway lighting requirement. Not sure of the finer points here, but I always thought there was a requirement even
under private ops for runway lights at night. I am not sure if the flight in question had arranged for portable lighting.

I haven't heard how the pilot is doing, but I hope he is pulling through from what sounded like very serious injuries.

Bob