PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways BAC 1-11 510 - what do we know of them...
Old 8th Jan 2023, 16:16
ETOPS

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts
What we need here is someone who actually flew the "Super" 1-11 from MAN during the 80s and 90.....

That's me folks

As already noted the -510 was a bespoke machine that BEA persuaded BAC to design and build as a mini Trident. Thus the flightdeck layout differed greatly including all the switches going the wrong way, panel layout redesigned along Trident lines (including old fashioned Smiths A/H etc) a large paper Decca moving map and - get this - a single channel CAT111 autoland AP!!!
By the time I joined the fleet they were obsolete but as my first jet I was thrilled. - the partial flap approach speed was faster than the cruise speed of my previous type
They were an absolute nightmare to operate but flew beautifully and I grew to love them - apart from the water dripping on my head during descent...

If there's any interest I can give some examples of the quirky operational aspects such as trying to start the APU or the multiple switch selections needed for a successful autoland....