PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Close Passes to New York High Rise
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2023, 23:30
Gordy

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Ewan Whosearmy
I am posting because I am genuinely curious to know what checks and balances are put in place for this kind of work.
In my "other" job, my DO works as an aerial coordinator worldwide and works with Fred frequently. He was not on this project, however was recently working the in the LA basin on a movie to be released either later this year or next year.

Without getting heavily into it. Yes there are special permissions obtained. we operate under an FAA approved Movie Manual and waiver. Typically for shots in down town areas, there are many permits to be obtained, street closures, FAA oversight, SAG oversight, site visits start months in advance and measurements are taken, scenarios are drawn up and practiced in safe environment all before showing up on set. Once on set, there are "tailboard briefings' carried out, dry runs, safety people etc. There will typically be at least 3 or 4 helicopter pilots on scene with radios watching from different angles, and the outcome of all maneuvers is never seriously in doubt.

So yes, this is not the kind of work just anyone gets into. Long gone are the days of the Dorcey Wingo incident. (Google is your friend if you are so inclined.
The following users liked this post: