PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two helicopters collide - Gold Coast, Queensland - Sea World 2/1/2023
Old 4th Jan 2023, 12:39
givemewings

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Arm out the window
Many many what-ifs.

Maybe it wouldn't have made any difference, as the pilot of the less damaged machine didn't seem to have the other one sighted at all prior to impact, but what strikes me from that rear pax video is how he (understandably) whacks the pilot on the shoulder to presumably draw his attention to the converging flight paths, but that gets the pilot looking to the right and inside at the exact point where he may have had a chance of evasive action. Probably too late at that stage anyhow, but just a sad observation.
I was thinking the same. Quite possibly, trying to avoid the situation worsened it. But I can't say I wouldn't have done the same in a panic... although had the pax had training/been crew I'd have expected a shout of traffic! not a rapid tapping on the shoulder.

Benefits of hindsight I suppose. Sad all round.

I can't see anyone talking, but the impression I got was the pilot has looked to the right at something right before the rear pax leant forward. Other (further off?) traffic?