PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two helicopters collide - Gold Coast, Queensland - Sea World 2/1/2023
Old 4th Jan 2023, 09:04
Bell_ringer

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by helispotter
MJA Chaser, Bell_ringer, brokenagain - I want you as pilots if you spotted the helicopter swiftly in that video. The departing helipad comes into view easily, but I had to look hard, frame by frame to see what may be the departing helicopter. Is the item circled in red (just above departing helipad) in screen shot below what you believe is that helicopter? At first I thought this was features on the ground. I can understand there may have been a lack of relative movement given they were on a collision course, but it doesn't seem to get larger in the few frames it is in view, and no sign of rotors but that may simply be due to the video frame rate. Or did you see something else? It sure puts the collision somewhat more into context.
From the angle of the camera it is difficult to tell if that is/was the departing helicopter. The eye-level of the pax filming is higher and would have a clearer view, as should the pilot.
by 34 seconds he has gone from rapidly tapping to grasping the seat in what appears to be bracing for impact, moments later glass shatters.
Personally I would have expected a bit more head movement clearing left.
Maybe when flying in circles all day it is easy to just settle into a routine.
The other pax also was filming, and being a pleasure flight, there should be no shortage of onboard imagery from both aircraft.
It should not be too difficult to get to the bottom of what was a completely avoidable accident in clear conditions.

Last edited by Bell_ringer; 4th Jan 2023 at 09:06. Reason: typos
The following users liked this post: