PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not-so-woke Reds
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2023, 19:10
langleybaston

Received 644 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by MPN11
“not me, Guv’nor” … certainly unlikely to be a career move these days, but then the “leaders” don’t need that on their CV. Having a good time playing with jets (etc) … yes.

Sadly there may be not enough middle ground between ‘the greasy pole’ and ‘hey, this is fun’ … perhaps a factor of the severely diminished population in which they now serve? Have fun, or reach to the stars? Or just grind on to Pension time? There are many sorts of good people out there, and always have been.
Quite so.

Yes, diminishing population has seemed to polarise that three-way split, but it did not seem like it until the end of the First Cold War. [Three-way polarisation? Sorry].

As an interested outsider I observed many of my neighbours, young-ish officers, apparently having a great time flying Hunters and Lightnings at Gutersloh late 1960s. As a group, they seemed to do very well on the greasy pole in later years .............. my later expoloits with seaweed and crystal balls met a goodly number of them transformed into Gp Capts or Air Cdres [and at least one ACM].

Difficult to know what a career move looks like these days.