PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missing light aircraft in the NT
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2022, 03:25
bloodandiron

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by aussieflyboy
Very sad outcome. Many of us have been in the young fellas spot flying around remote areas alone in our 20’s.

If it turns out to be an in-flight breakup I hope the ATSB can provide some valuable insight into how the pilot was trained. Was/is turbulence penetration speed taught during training? How is moderate or severe turbulence demonstrated to young pilots?

Annoyingly the private aircraft accident in Sydney has received more media coverage than this accident. 210s fly 1,000s of people all around Australia every year.
A G3 who works at the same school they did all their training at has may have never experienced real pressure to slow down below Va. Ab-initio flights are cancelled when the weather is bad (and rightfully so, you can't teach attitudes if a student can't see the horizon or hold an attitude due turbulence). I'd suggest these are things that shouldn't have to be learnt through scaring yourself on the job.

Since this was a passenger transport operation I'm also surprised the media hasn't covered it more.

There is a continuation of the goss on the Appin thread if anyone is interested in that