PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Recruiting
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2022, 13:33
AIMINGHIGH123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by plikee
By the time you reach BA LHS LH, you've lost so much pay by staying put in RYR LHS that the benefits are almost negligible. If I compare to Virgin pay, changing from RYR LHS to Virgin would mean 15 years of wait to get to the same pay as I'm on today. If you compound, it's almost half-mil lost, and the option to retire earlier also lost. Even if BA pay is much better than Virgin, it is still a big dent. By the time you get to the top of LH payscale, you'll be tired and possibly fed-up of the life style. If you are young and no commitments, BA is a no-brainer. If you are past your 30's, it might not be that straightforward.

Not true, there are pay increases across the network. Whether they are meaningful or not in the current economic climate it's another story. The problem with the way RYR approaches this is they can take it or add as management please. During times of demand, they'll increase, during times of weakness, they'll take it away. However the stark reality is that any operator will adjust to this - COVID wasn't that long time ago and I don't know any operator that didn't reduce pay and/or made people redundant.
I crunched the number with my mate loads on this. I have seen his payslips you won’t be losing as much as you think depending on when you jump.
He is FO year 2 his minimum take home a month is £4600. 1 trip overtime and he netted nearly £2k on top of that. Add in the 15% company pension plus the ability to travel on BA network for very little. Yes he actually gets less days off a month but he isn’t as tired. 5 days on at RYR through summer is hard work landing 1-4am on your first day off technically multiple times wipes you out.

Regarding pay rise RYR you might or might not get a pay rise. BA £3k a pay rise every year with the current pay deal.

I had the same thoughts as you about BA. After sitting down with my mate cards on the table the benefits add up. At BA It’s not as big a difference as you make out. Even coming down to mortgage the bank wouldn’t consider all of my RYR salary. Base plus half the duty pay. Instantly missing out on a leverage opportunity. Makes a massive difference.
Virgin I don’t actually know anyone close enough at Virgin to get the exact figures I have seen a couple of rosters and they do not look nice.
LHS RYR to Virgin doesn’t sound very good. Even RHS to SO position would be a bad move IMO.