PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Recruiting
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2022, 11:46
plikee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AIMINGHIGH123
BA LH has a lot more benefits compared to RYR even if you are LHS.
By the time you reach BA LHS LH, you've lost so much pay by staying put in RYR LHS that the benefits are almost negligible. If I compare to Virgin pay, changing from RYR LHS to Virgin would mean 15 years of wait to get to the same pay as I'm on today. If you compound, it's almost half-mil lost, and the option to retire earlier also lost. Even if BA pay is much better than Virgin, it is still a big dent. By the time you get to the top of LH payscale, you'll be tired and possibly fed-up of the life style. If you are young and no commitments, BA is a no-brainer. If you are past your 30's, it might not be that straightforward.

As I said in other places here the only benefit of RYR is 5 on 4 off and possibly quick command year 1 and 2 of command is reduced salary.
Maybe times have changed or it is just me, but I definitely value being back at home every night and not live out of a suitcase. No kids for me, I would think someone who has kids would even value this more.

The salary quoted at RYR includes pension and allowance to pay for your own medical, LOL, etc.
Agreed, but only a fool would consider the pension as part of their pay package and not as a benefit. As far as I see it, the pension in fact reduces my income. If I don't contribute, RYR won't either. The benefit of contributing is RYR matching and enjoying that money when you retire.

No pay increase at RYR every year like at BA. 10 years time you want part time or other at BA you have that option. RYR no way. Might do it over winter but unlikely.
Not true, there are pay increases across the network. Whether they are meaningful or not in the current economic climate it's another story. The problem with the way RYR approaches this is they can take it or add as management please. During times of demand, they'll increase, during times of weakness, they'll take it away. However the stark reality is that any operator will adjust to this - COVID wasn't that long time ago and I don't know any operator that didn't reduce pay and/or made people redundant.

Why are so many leaving RYR? Rumours are a 1000 working notices.
Yes, loads leaving at the moment, mainly UK as at the moment it is a niche market (immigration and licence restrictions due to Brexit), but the majority are FOs and not CPT.

If you live within 1 hr of LHR BA passenger Ops is the best option IMO.
But if you don't... That's another downside of BA. Not everyone lives or likes London.

At the end of the day, it is horses for courses. It really depends what are your current circumstances, of what you want in life now and in the future.
10 years ago I would have joined Virgin in a heartbeat without even considering BA, let alone RYR.

Last edited by plikee; 27th Dec 2022 at 12:08.