PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shoreham Airshow Crash Trial
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2022, 13:23
_Agrajag_

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts
Doesn't flying an aircraft outside the pitch or bank limits constitute flying "outside the manufacturers in-service operating envelope", as I wrote?

Not that long ago I flew a type with a placard limitation that read "Not to exceed 60° angle of bank" and my assumption was that it was unsafe to pull a tighter turn than that. I'm sure the aircraft would probably have been OK at a bit over 60°, but if I'd pulled it a bit tighter and then had it fall out of the sky I'm damned sure that the AAIB would have included my failure to stay within the safe operating envelope as the primary cause of the subsequent crash.

I also fully accept that in modern times Farnborough was a very well regulated flying programme. However, let's not forget that a significant part of the tightening up of air show safety came after the 1952 DH.110 crash, that killed the pilot, flight test observer and twenty nine spectators. That accident was a consequence of the aircraft being pitched up too hard after a high speed (supersonic) dive, causing the aircraft to disintegrate in mid-air.