PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the AFPRB fit for purpose
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2022, 23:24
The Helpful Stacker

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by skydiver69
None of the the public sector pay boards are fit for purpose as none are independent. They all work within tight affordability parameters set by the Government meaning that that is their priority and despite protestations to the contrary, the Government often ignores their recommendations. The armed forces and police are Crown employees so we (I'm a police officer) don't have the industrial rights that other public and private sector employees have, but we don't get anything such as a fair pay body, in return for those lack of rights.
I was just about to post something similar, so thank you for saving me the time.

As a former serviceman and current nurse I have been and am subject to these supposed 'independant' Pay Review Boards. They are nothing of the type and have been ignored (contrary to the "we follow the PRB recommendations" tripe being spouted currently) or followed as is politically expedient.

With respect to the lack of industrial rights the Police and military have, I'm always very vocal about this fact if I ever hear fellow trade union reps make negative comments towards the military/police with regards to providing MACA.