PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 717 NJS - What's Going On?
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2022, 22:01
Slippery_Pete

Received 338 Likes on 65 Posts
I am not surprised. There is also no mention of a Northern regional airline's two catastrophic failures circa Jun2018 either (one in flight eastbound - the turbine section seized - , one @ 60% thrust during return to service- i.e. "on the line in the morning or else" - engine runs). Even ATSB personnel had great difficulty finding anything about them in their database about 2yrs later. "Awaiting manufacturers strip/damage report" was the advice on the inflight; there is still no mention to this day on the ATSB website. Engines were "on condition" but very close to manufacturer's recommended max for time on wing. Two didn't make it; don't know how the other went but it did manage to bring the airframe back to the departure aerodrome some 53mins after the grisly death of it's ailing mate.
There seems to be some censoring of what makes it into the crash comics these days. Personally I think there is a "bury it" culture pervading everything in aviation safety and regulation of late.
Safety in Australian airline operations has transitioned from world leading 20 years ago, to essentially lip service.

Money hungry management and boards so busy trying to flog their “wage freeze policy” to get personal bonuses… meanwhile clapped out aircraft are flying around with 10, 20, 30, sometimes more than 40 open defects.

Australia is perilously close to a jet hull loss. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it this bad. The Virgin Brisbane closed runway should have been a wake up call for EVERYONE. The cheese is aligning.

And meanwhile, CASA seem intent on wasting resources on things like stonewalling Glen Buckley for years to avoid essentially saying “we’re sorry”. They should perhaps be focusing on shutting down a jet RPT operator whose engines regularly keep going bang, often in spectacular fashion.

I hope like anything I’m wrong. I feel very uneasy about it all, and a lot of my colleagues feel the same - it’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when.
The following 3 users liked this post by Slippery_Pete: