PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 717 NJS - What's Going On?
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2022, 01:13
megan

Received 392 Likes on 207 Posts
I must be stupid but I never understood this.

How can it be cheaper to train someone new from start than give someone additional training who is almost there?

Example, you might have completed 100 hours training, but they say they can't afford another 10 hours training yet they can afford to hire someone new to replace you and give them 100 hours to get your level ?

Doesn't this also have a greater knock on delay ?

You might only need an extra week, but the squadron cannot wait, so we will just terminate you and hire someone new and they can wait even longer now? (Wait another 12 months longer now)
Never understood it either John, ex Oz mil but USN trained, chap told me he was on his final handling test at Pearce in a Vampire and was failed for a bounced landing, he may have been understating the bounce, but how in the world do you throw away all that investment for an error made on your very last flight? The RAF have a term for those giving check rides, don't know if it is extant in the RAAF, "trappers". Perhaps the word says a lot. In the USN you were always given a chance to redeem yourself, a board of perhaps the CO and senior instructor would decide how many extra flights to grant, but of course there was a cut off point.