PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Medical at EK
Thread: Medical at EK
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2022, 02:06
SOPS
short flights long nights

Received 147 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Monarch Man
I had a minor issue with raised BP whilst in a medical setting (called whitecoat) which developed whilst at EK. A certain "Garden Knome" got wind of this and decided to use me as part of his career path up the greasy pole. In the end I was medically grounded for 4 months and tested for everything related to cardiovascular health and risk, fortunately I avoided the dreaded sleep clinic.
The result? I was diagnosed with hypertension and prescribed medication (which I never took as I dont have high BP) and was required to wear a 24hr BP monitor periodically to retain my medical.
Now it may seem like a small thing to many, but for me it created pointless stress for the family and I and wasted about 30000 DHS on pointless tests.
Subsequent to this I found a sensible western Doc at the EK clinic (now retired) who understood the situation and made life a lot simpler.
Now back in the real world I've had no such problems, my medical now involves a chat with my AME about day to day life etc and I'm good to go.
The moral of the story is that the EK clinic can f@#k with your life far more than fleet or crewing, caveat emptor!
The Gnome destroyed a few careers in his climb up the pole.