PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Female wannabe - honest advice please.
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2022, 11:33
Uplinker

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts
Definitely go for it, but do some PPL flying and get a Class 1 medical soon, and before you give up your current employment.

I left a secure, interesting and well paid career to do an ATPL at a few years younger than you are now. I did a full-time integrated course at a good school, because I needed to get a qualification as soon as possible and start earning again, since time (age) was against me - I didn't want to spend 5 years doing it the modular way, and I wanted high quality training at ground school so I didn't waste time having to re-sit exams.

I got all of that, and at the time, (1997), it cost me between a third and a half of what it costs now, and I was able to get a job flying a shed (Shorts 360) , which got my foot on the ladder, which eventually got me into flying A330's, which was utterly fantastic.

You may find that the airlines are ageist - they are not allowed to be, but they find ways around that - so you will have to be persistent, and prepared for disappointments. They don't seem to value life experience either, they just want "cannon fodder" to populate their ridiculous rosters, and the much younger folk are easier to push around.

Airlines now subject you to lots of psychometric, and maths and verbal tests - even though you will have just passed all your ATPL written and flying exams. None of the psychometrics are particularly difficult, BUT they put ridiculously short time limits on the tests, so you need to practise, practise, practise doing psychometric, verbal and maths tests accurately and quickly. You can find most of the actual tests online by paying a subscription.

Don't let this put you off, just be aware of what lays ahead. The ATPL itself is very intensive and full-on. I was up at 0600 and not into bed until 2300 every weekday, (that included a 1 hour commute twice a day). Having got home, I spent 3 hours a night going over that day's lessons, and practising tests. Almost no family time at all for 18 months.

The very best of luck to you