PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No assumed temperature for contaminated runway
Old 30th Nov 2022, 08:51
john_tullamarine

Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts
My concern is that the younger folk read what we discuss and take away whatever they might make of it. I have no problem with a slow and steady throttle increase, matched by appropriate control inputs. The reality is that there have been various mishaps where the pilot has mishandled the throttle advance grossly and found himself out of synch with the yaw response. Right or wrong, I would rather emphasise the underlying philosophy that the flex setting is adequate (providing we don't end up with gross failure problems out of left field). For the derate case, the main concern with a significant asymmetric overboost, likewise, is the potential for Vmcg or Vmca problems, especially at light weights and min speed schedules. That we have a different position on the topic is fine. To get to the certification bottom of why this but not that would require some extensive digging into the literature.

I certainly would welcome more and extensive discussion on the subject as it is so endemic in operations that the more folk in the front seats know about it the better for risk control in operations.

Old Smokey - a good while now since I have had discussions with young Tiger - we go back a long way having worked together on a project around 30 years ago before he moved into performance work. As I recall he was with TAA prior to the Troubles. I was aware that he had fallen into difficult medical circumstances but haven't heard how he has since fared. Does your comment indicate that he is no longer with us ?. I fear that may be the case ?