PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Former soldier convicted of manslaughter in NI troubles 1988
Old 29th Nov 2022, 17:36
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
I hadn't intended to join this discussion but I must support OJ72's comments above. They are all the more timely in view of the moves over the weekend for a public inquiry into the Omagh bombings in which 18 innocent shoppers were killed. To OJ72's citing of Garda-IRA collusion I would add the murder of two judges returning from Dublin. I too lost friends on both sides of the divide. I too spent long hours on stag awaiting a suprise attack perhaps from the civilian strolling past on the far side of the street. I have sampled the unique musky smell of a thousand-strong mob intent on riot. To pursue a stressed-out youngster who made a fatal mistake when countless murderers walk free is not justice.

Many if not most Republicans were glad to see the arrival of the Army to quell attacks from Unionist mobs. When my friends in 2 Queen's took up positions in (Republican) Divis Street Belfast on August 15 1969 I went up with 24 fish suppers only to find the local residents had liberally supplied with tea, scones and sandwiches. To this day I remember the comment of their company officer, Capt. John Gerelli: "Today they're bringing us tea and biscuits, tomorrow they'll be throwing stones or worse. We'll end up pig in the middle, we always do".

Fifty-three years later John is long gone, but his prophesy still echoes today.