PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Former soldier convicted of manslaughter in NI troubles 1988
Old 28th Nov 2022, 10:52
melmothtw

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
I wasn't saying it was a defence, I was just replying to the post above mine ( and the quote below ) pondering if the culpability should rest with those that sent the young soldiers to Ireland I.e the Uk Government, and pointing out that you could say the ultimate culpability should be those that started their war of Terror on the population of NI. Without those individuals, there would have been no need to put the army there in the first place.
Surely, the 'ultimate culpability' should be with those who invaded a sovereign neighbouring country and then calved off and annexed a sizeable portion of it to 'protect' an ethnic minority who had been artificially transplanted there centuries before and who now wished to remain citizens of 'the motherland'. Sound familiar?

Of course, all of this is getting away from the OP - that a British solider pointed a loaded machine gun at a civilian who was just going about his business in a British city, seemingly didn't check to see if it was cocked or even if the safety catch was on (if you believe his version of events that it was an accident, which frankly is implausible), and pulled the trigger. This happened, and there are posters (including the OP) who think such matters should not be investigated purely because it was a British solider, and we're the good guys, right?