PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADHD/ASD and CASA medicals
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2022, 00:50
Clinton McKenzie

Received 245 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by tossbag
If that is aimed at my post, there was no diagnosis of anything, the pilot had declared his condition to CASA, CASA wanted an assessment of the pilot's performance whilst in flight. The assessment was like any of the hundreds I'd done every day. No more, no less. When he presented to me he showed me the form, I looked at it and thought, yes, I can assess that as it's written. To not assess him would have left him grounded.

If in my assessment I thought he had problems I would have assessed it that way.

If as an instructor you assessed behaviours that were not consistent with pilot licence privileges you'd shut up and say nothing? Like, not my problem, I'm not a doctor?
You’re missing the point, tossbag.

Your expertise is in assessing whether a person meets the competence standards or not. You can and should be doing that, whether or not the person presents with CASA’s thought bubble form. As you say, if you “thought he had problems” you “would have assessed it that way”. As soon as you are part of a process through which a medical issue is identified as being the cause of the ”problems”, you are at risk of finding yourself in the middle of a time consuming and stressful controversy. But it is your choice.