PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Belgium blocks export of nuclear technology to UK
Old 26th Nov 2022, 23:28
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by MENELAUS
I could be talking out of my arse ( pun intended) however I think our taste for baked beans (whistleberries) comes courtesy of your good selves, and visiting GI’s introduced them to the UK during the war.
Baked beans on toast, topped off with a poached egg, and the obligatory Tabasco. As we’ve shot our taste buds to hell over the years. Culinary Heaven. And musical fruit afterwards.
I suspect you're right - especially when the most popular British brand of beans is Heinz. Personally, I'm quite fond of Bush's brand baked beans (they are especially good if I stick them in the smoker for a few hours while smoking something else).
But we know better than to have them for breakfast...
Wrong. Any Mediteranean or Canarian cafe will advertise 'English Breakfasts' or 'bangers and mash' or what they think it might be eg the cafe I saw in Majorca which advertised 'donna kebabs' (that spelling) as being British.
I did except English Breakfast - but I think you're reaching when you start claiming "kebabs" as British food. Sort of like that British TV show I watched recently that claimed potato crisps were a British invention based on an early 1800's cookbook that called for 1/4" thick fried potatoes and called those potato crisps (we'd simply call those fried potatoes...)