PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question. BBC Rogue SAS Heroes series
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2022, 17:36
oldmansquipper

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Jackanory time:

OMS was privileged to work with the regiment in the early 80s. It was before PE had fired the 5lb Chicken at the ‘new’ but unapproved square parachutes that were appearing in the sport parachute world. No MoD money had been allocated for air troop to have any, so the regiments sport fund went out and bought a load whilst we were training on EglinAFB. One of the first in use had been operated at a very high speed on its first use and the trailing edge was blown apart. That night in the bar, The trooper who used it said to me (the equipment SME and engineer) “hey, ‘OMS’ can you repair such damage? How on earth could it be done?” Innocently I replied that it could be, but it would probably require extensive inserts and patching to reinforce the damaged trailing edge…..

I was somewhat shocked the following day on the DZ when said trooper landed using the damaged chute. About 4foot of the trailing edge was held together with sticky back rip stop nylon illicitly ‘borrowed’ from my spares box in the dead of night…

later I ask ‘trooper A’ why he took such a risk?

answer was..”you are the expert, mate…you say it can be done, it can. ….

great guys, happy days…

Last edited by oldmansquipper; 26th Nov 2022 at 21:17.