PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar airways (Master thread)-2
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2022, 12:27
SOPS
short flights long nights

Received 154 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Whitemonk Returns
Got sent the tests in August, did them out of curiosity and have been invited to interview every month since but haven't been able to accept any of the dates as they were all within 4 - 6 weeks notice. Boeing Capt applying for Boeing FO.

Right... interview booked end of January. I have a raft of questions if anyone can help out as I am looking for some advice:

I've got a cushy number right now, LHS, 40 days AL plus 40 days off at my request, £140k for 500 hrs a year but it is going to expire at some point in the next 2 years forever and what awaits is LCC hell for eternity.

So, I'm going to go and sus this place out and see how I feel after.

1) Whats an FO getting into their hand on average
2) 5 to 6 years back to command isn't a deal breaker but ideally I wouldn't accept a start date until late 2023 but how much would I be screwing myself over by delaying. Mid 30s right now.

3) how much out of the take home is going to go on schooling, 3 kids

4) Wife is up for it so that is fine but while it might sound mad the main thing holding me back is my middle daughter is a bit of a sports star, she loves football and I couldn't bring her anywhere she couldn't join a team and do what she loves, do these things exist for expats? Like proper weekly leagues for girls etc, I'm super sceptical and while it might seem crazy to base career decisions on stuff like that I love my daughter and would go fly rubber dildos out of Hong Kong before I'd stop her playing football.

5) Anyone going in Jan feel free to PM me

6) Provident fund, what are the actual figures, I've tried asking this in the Emirates thread and here before but never get any concrete numbers, I've got 40k a year going into my pension right now including personal contributions, is it at least on par?

thanks for the help
My advice…stay where you are.